I recently had my phone stolen while traveling to Iceland, and fortunately, I was able to recover everything within a few days except a dozen pictures and a few application specific items like my list for my packing list app.
Even if you haven’t explicitly made an effort to backup your data you may be in luck as Google, Apple and your organization (if it’s a work phone) may have automagically set some of these up for you.
This tutorial will guide you through most of the steps to ensure that if your phone is lost, damaged or stolen while abroad you will be able to recover your data AND ensure no one else does.
Take a full backup before you leave. This will ensure that if something goes wrong you will at least be able to recover to the point before you left on your trip.
- Use iTunes or iCloud for iOS devices: Check out this tutorial for creating a full backup
- Use Kies for Samsung devices: Check out this tutorial for creating a full backup
- Use USB Connection mode for other android devices: Check out this tutorial for manually copying data from your phone
Setup Google Drive. You can store documents and even take photos and convert them to searchable PDFs.
Setup Google Photos. This will allow you to have your photos backed up every time you connect to wifi (or over cellular – data charges still apply).
Setup LastPass. You remember one strong master password and LastPass remembers (and optionally generates) all of your other passwords. You only need to know one and the rest are encrypted.
- Create a LastPass account Here
- Download run the Recommended Installer, LastPass will identify which one you need, including browser extensions
- Log into the LastPass browser extention (to the right of the address bar in your browser) by clicking on this icon
- Log into as many of your personal sites as possible and when prompted, let LastPass store this information in your password vault: Instructions Here, Video Tutorial Here
- Install LastPass for iOS devices: Free on iTunes
- Install LastPass for Android: Free on GooglePlay
- Setup Emergency Access to your LastPass account
Setup Google Authenticator and enable 2 Factor Authentication for your Google Account and LastPass Account
- Install and Setup Google Authenticator: Instructions for iOS and Android
- Enable Google Authenticator for LastPass
Set a passcode. Additionally setup encryption.
- Set a passcode on iOS: Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode. On devices without Touch ID, go to Settings > Passcode
- Enable Erase Data option on iOS
- Set a passcode on Androide: Settings > Security > Encryption > Screen lock. Select the PIN option and enter a PIN
- Enable Encryption on Android: Settings > Security > Encryption > Encrypt tablet or Encrypt phone.
Enable remote management. This will allow you to locate the last place your phone was online and optionally remotely wipe the phone if it comes online.
- Setup Find My iPhone for iOS
- Remotely erase iOS device if lost/stolen
- Link your phone to Google
- Remotely erase your phone if lost/stole
Confused? Contact me if you need help with any backup or recovery efforts.